The Academy is governed by a Council, elected by the Fellows, which is responsible for managing the affairs of the organisation. Election and admissions of Fellows is through nomination, followed by a rigorous review and selection process. Founding Fellows were admitted following review by a team nominated by the Federation of European Academies of Medicine. The Inaugural Council comprises the following membership:
- Professor Noel Gerard McElvaney, (RCSI/ Beaumont Hospital)
- Professor Seamas Donnelly (UCD/ St. Vincent’s Hospital)
- Professor Laurence Egan (NUI Galway/ University College Hospital Galway)
- Professor Orla Hardiman (RCSI/ Beaumont Hospital)
- Professor Brian Harvey (RCSI)
- Professor Elaine Kay (RCSI/ Beaumont Hospital)
- Professor Dermot Kelleher (Imperial College London and formerly TCD and St. James’s Hospital)
- Professor Cormac Taylor (UCD).
Honorary Officers of the Society:
- Responsibilities of the Council are effected through the Honorary Officers of the Academy, who are also elected by the Fellows. Inaugural Honorary Officers are:
- Professor Noel Gerard McElvaney, Honorary President
- Professor Orla Hardiman, Honorary Secretary
- Professor Seamus Donnelly, Honorary Treasurer.